Thursday, May 24, 2007

Idols?

Jordin is the new American Idol. I would like to make two very unrelated comments about this show. First, I think the talent was down this season, but must disclaim I only watched about ten combined minutes. Still, my proof was in the pudding that Jordin had no range last night, and the other finalist was a beat-boxing scatman. This debate can be left for more avid viewers though. Secondly, how fantastic is it that American Idol has been legitimized with the finalists winning grammys, oscars, and being constantly played on the radio? This show is the American dream hyped beyond tolerable lengths, but its core is genuine. These contestants go from nobody to A-list in a few months. I like to think it has made the music industry much more competitive as well. Maybe someday creations of the like can remove all Ashley Simpson digitalized divas and leave us with the true Natalie Merchants.

Here are some post-script statistics for ya. American Idol received 74 million votes yesterday alone. George Bush recorded 62 million when he won the Presidency in 2004 (yes, that includes the stolen Florida recount votes). This season of Idol alone logged over 600 million votes. There have been eight Platinum Idols' albums, and the group has combined for 26 Billboard Music Awards, 6 American Music Awards, 4 Grammys, and 1 Oscar. William Hung has sold 295K albums.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home