Tuesday, March 07, 2006

$1/lap??

Question: Why do people feel the need to take on borderline absurd athletic feats to raise money for charities? I was recently asked to donate (and did) to a HS friend's quest to cure Leukemia and Lymphoma. As incentive to donate, she is riding a bike somewhere for 100 miles straight. What the flip? Are people really more likely to donate if you will be climbing Everest? Personally, I think I would give the same amount whether you simply asked or will be swimming the Atlantic Ocean. I’m going to enter some controversial territory here, but I think many of these challenges are as much about the participant as they are about the cause. “I’ve always wanted to walk from NY to LA, why not make it a noble endeavor?”

The one thing I can say is I have participated in several of these two bird events over my lifetime, and they really do bring everyone together and spirit to the event. It is inspiring to have many people taking on a challenge simultaneously for a good cause. So in the end, I guess I’m torn. Maybe Tad can shed some light considering his recent philanthropic Chicago Marathon conquering.

1 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Clarke Michalak said...

Yes, my astute friend. The title refers to an event I won for eight straight years. No big whoop. I have always taken philanthropic events with a kind of no mercy style. By the way, please don’t get me wrong with the post. My stance on philanthropy is the more the better. I don’t care how you do it, or what gets people motivated to participate, the ends always justifies the means.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home