Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Hasta Nunca

It has been four months since I returned from Ecuador, and two years and four months since the European tour. I have effectively lost touch with every foreigner befriended on these travels, which made me think about the very nature of these false promises everyone seems to offer when they meet people away from home. At least ten trips to America were promised, and you can safely double that number for the country visits I assured. It just seemed like the thing to do, or a way to make the “goodbye forever” not seem so harsh. I also believe there is something in those promises that sort of substantiates the relationship you are building over a beer, on a train ride, or along a five-day cruise. Why can’t we just let go? Say “nice knowing ya” to someone and leave it at that? We try to exchange emails, phone numbers, pictures, and websites as a Hail Mary attempt to hold on.

I remember when my host brother’s friend in Spain responded to my “hasta luego” with “hasta la vista,” which I took as the equivalent of responding to “have a nice day” with “have a nice life.” This was clearly more honest, and maybe the approach we should take with these fleeting friendships. Would it make the interaction more uncomfortable, or let us leave with closure and avoid feelings of guilt when the imminent end is ultimately accepted? Something to ponder.

1 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh...that picture brings back some good memories. What a crazy train ride that was from Vienna to Venice! Those Austrian kids were nuts, I think I got about 2 hours of sleep on that ride (even after taking the overly-potent spanish sleeping pills). Buenos Tiempos!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home